Arts and Mission Conference June 2019
To register for the conference click here
To subscribe to the Arts and Mission email update for programme and registration updates when available click here
Aims of the conference
To affirm art for its own sake. We will focus particularly on the visual and performative arts affirming their intrinsic value in keeping with God’s creative nature and expression in creation.
To explore gospel, art and mission. We will explore what the gospel has to do with art and what art has to say about the gospel and mission. The church and the arts share a concern for exorcism, prophecy and healing (confronting evil, proclaiming the gospel and healing of body and mind).
To seek a prophetic edge. Artists offer a critique of mass culture, as does the gospel. However, sometimes the arts are uncritically embraced by the world and the church, and the message of the gospel is likewise uncritically identified with this or that culture or worldview. We believe Christian engagement with the arts should bring a prophetic edge to the mission of the church.
To equip the church in mission. We will seek to demonstrate the role, significance and power of the visual and performing arts in witnessing to the gospel in the life and mission of the church.
What we hope to achieve from the conference
Through engagement in discussions and workshops we will:
- Discover how our understanding of the biblical text is enhanced/changed through engagement with art.
- Discover the community building, therapeutic and healing potential of art for communities.
- Explore frameworks for discernment of the divine prophetic presence bearing witness to the gospel in art.
- Gain an appreciation of the role, significance and power of the visual and performing arts in witnessing to the gospel in the life and mission of the church.
- Gain an appreciation of how God and the “other” are encountered and brought into fellowship through practice of art.
- Establish a network of those interested in exploring the issues of the conference on an ongoing basis.